On Your Side – Our 2021 Manifesto
St Helens Borough Labour Group are proud to present our manifesto for the upcoming local elections. The comprehensive document, titled ‘On Your Side’, sets out Labour’s record and our plans for St Helens as work ramps up to help residents, businesses and essential services not just to recover from the pandemic but to build back better.
The manifesto sets out the record of our Labour-run council throughout the pandemic, including:
- Working with partners to support residents, local charities and care homes and creating #StHelensTogether.
- Helping hundreds of local businesses directly, every day, offering financial support when the government offered none and campaigning for support for those workers ignored by government.
- Supporting schools, nurseries and colleges, and backing the campaign to end child hunger by making sure every child in need was offered food during school holidays.
- Working with the local NHS and partners across the region to deliver community testing and set up Merseyside’s first mass vaccination site at Saints.
Our thanks go to the council keyworkers, partner organisations, businesses and volunteers who have helped to deliver all this and more.
Andy Reid MBE, Armed Forces Veteran and founder of the Standing Tall Foundation, is among those backing Labour in these elections. Andy says: “The way the Labour council has supported people and businesses through the pandemic has been outstanding, and we need to keep going. I’m voting Labour so we can build back better.”
We’re already taking action to build back better including by developing an Economic Recovery Plan with local businesses and other partners, producing a detailed Borough Strategy designed after the biggest consultation the council has done in years which spells out the priorities for our borough and how we can all work together to achieve them, and committing to an investment of more than £100m in projects across the borough such as repairing the Gamble and Earlestown Town Hall, rebuilding schools, and improving leisure facilities.
‘On Your Side’ confirms further steps we’ll take, including:
- Publishing masterplans for redevelopment in our town centres later this year which are currently being drawn up with our partners English Cities Fund.
- Protecting every single one of our fantastic parks and fully implementing our new Climate Action Plan to reach net zero carbon emissions as a borough by 2040.
- Reviewing the waste and recycling service to make sure it works for residents and the environment.
- Tackling antisocial behaviour, pursuing and prosecuting flytipping and investing in improved CCTV.
- Doing all we can to work with community groups and partners to make sure no child goes hungry during school holidays.
David Baines, Labour Leader of St Helens Borough Council, says: “This election is our chance to choose how we rebuild after Covid. Our manifesto clearly shows Labour are determined to stand up for St Helens residents, businesses and essential services who have fought so hard in the past year and we’re the only party with a credible, deliverable, and ambitious plan for the borough.
Use all your votes for Labour in these elections to help make sure we can continue to work together for St Helens and build the society and economy we need after the pandemic.”
Read more about our plans for St Helens at www.sthelenslabour.org/buildbackbetter