We’re Hiring – Labour Group Organiser
St Helens Labour Group Organiser
Responsible to: St Helens Labour Group
Location: St Helens
Terms and conditions: 2 days per week at £10,170.97 per annum (£25,427.43 FTE) plus fixed sum allowance of £433.20 and car allowance of £2000 per annum. Fixed term contract until 1st June 2020.
Key purpose: The Group Organiser will be responsible for ensuring effective campaign organisation within St Helens Borough. The post holder will be responsible to the Labour Group, with the primary focus of helping to build and maintain party organisation and activity in St Helens Borough up to and including the May 2020 local elections. The Group Organiser will be expected to build relationships with candidates and Councillors, the LCF, and also with both CLPs and MP’s offices with the aim of helping to establish an effective election and campaign organisation in the borough.
• To work with the St Helens Labour Group, candidates, and branches to identify, develop, motivate and organise members and supporters.
• To lead and organise campaigning activity as determined by the Group, the Regional Office and partners such as the LCF.
• To work with the Leader and others as appropriate to develop a communications strategy including proactive use of social media.
• To work with the CLP Fundraising Officers to ensure the CLP has adequate funding to campaign and contest elections.
• To provide training to members on election techniques, production of newsletters, voter ID (doorstep and telephone), voter registration and postal votes.
• To identify campaign leaders in each branch and provide training and support to them on organising and campaigning.
• To develop communications systems with branches, members and other units of the party and affiliated organisations in St Helens Borough to promote Labour’s achievements and Party activities.
• Building up membership and membership activity in the Borough in line with the Party’s aims and objectives.
• To report on the level of all activity, organisation and the effective operation of campaign plans to the Leader and wider Group.
Knowledge • Knowledge and understanding of the Party organisation at branch, constituency and regional level • Knowledge of campaigning techniques • Knowledge of running fundraising campaigns
Experience • Experience of being involved in Labour Party campaigns • Experience of working with volunteers • Experience of working on own initiative • Experience of fundraising
Skills a. Communication skills, including • Ability to communicate concisely, both verbally and in written form, for example drafting newsletters • Ability to use publishing packages to produce leaflets • Ability to work with and lead a wide range of people • Ability to motivate people b. Organising skills, including • Ability to organise an election campaign • Ability to organise events, such as training events • Ability to organise groups of volunteers c. administrative skills, including • Ability to manage a well-organised office, including responsibility for maintaining equipment. • Ability to use Microsoft Office or equivalent packages
• A driver’s license is desirable